Monday, November 21, 2016

Refection: How Morgan Freeman would narrate the opening scene of Eat Drink Man Woman

Jonathan Lung
Refection: How Morgan Freeman would narrate the opening scene of Eat Drink Man Woman

            Writing this blog post was a fun process. I was inspired by the True Facts videos and Honest Trailer videos when I was writing this blog post. I knew I wanted my audience (a key term that I mastered in English class) to be people who wanted a good laugh. I also wanted the blog post to be very informal, similarly to the True Facts videos. During my brainstorming process, I decided I want my narrator to not know what is going on as he is watching the video. However, writing a voice over is very difficult to synchronize. I watched the movie clip over and over for about a hundred times before I could even start writing the first sentence. Even after watching the clip multiple times, I still had to keep watching and pausing to capture the voice over for each scene just perfectly. The timing of the voice over was the most difficult part of the whole writing process. One trick I learn to use was to mute the video and talk over the scene as if I was the narrator himself. This whole process took me several hours to do. After writing the narration, I would check over the grammar briefly to make sure basic subject-verb agreement are in place. That is something I still struggle with if I do not check over my work. One thing about this assignment that I found interesting is the direction you can take with the voice over. Many people chose to voice over like a cooking show or a documentary but few did anything that was purely comical. You have to be creative and funny to make the narration. Overall, I had a lot of fun writing this voice over because it allowed me to live out my dream of narrating in a funny way. The feedback has been positive and approved by a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment